Friday 18 July 2014

Volunteering Day 4, Journeys & Model African Diaspora

The students of the P2 class I thought yesterday were playing the 'in the river, on the bank' game during their break. I felt happy as I saw them and glad to know that they learnt something from me and Trinidad and Tobago (T&T). They also remembered my name and what I taught them yesterday. It's a joy teaching them and I have learnt many teaching skills from Mr. Michael.

In the session with Dr. Michael we explored our life's journey, from birth to present. Some of us had relations in different countries along with our home country. This seems to be another common phenomenon some of us share in the african diaspora. Drew's pastorial group focused on the journey in the past, present and future. I think everyone should definitely have an idea of where they would like to be in the future, where they are now and where they came from.

We also made a model to show how we would strengthen the african diaspora. One group had a neatly built umbrella while another group had a detailed 3D map. Moe's group (my group) had an egg which showed the birth of the new african diaspora. Balloons filled with party streamers and in the colours of my group life's journey countries' flag were attached to the egg and then burst to illustrate the realization and sharing of our cultural practices with each other. The balloons were burst by Share Think and Act cic in the form of a toothpick with a yellow puff as this organization helped us in accepting and appreciating the african diaspora. A yellow puff was used as yellow is the organization's colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment