Wednesday 16 July 2014

Volunteering Day 3 and Tawala Beach :)

Today Gabriel, Keivaugh, Samantha, Ben, Regan and I worked with the P2 class. Keivaugh taught Maths and we helped with the marking of the Math problems. The students said recitations about Ghana and black women. The recitations were very informative as they had factual information about Ghana and they also gave encouragement for black women to love and cherish their chocolate complexion, rather than bleaching it to become 'fair' like white women. I taught the students a common game in Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) called 'in the river, on the bank'. They learnt it quickly and were laughing at each other as they played.

The session with Dr. Michael involved the discussion of each country's traditional practices as they relate to birth and pregnancy, dreams, leaving the family home and funerals. With funerals for example, we all view the body of the deceased before its burial, however Ghanians view the body at the deceased home and at home (T&T) the body is viewed at a church.

The Tawala beach party was relaxing and I felt as though I was at home, as I danced to songs that are well known in T&T. Plus I got to ride a horse which was pretty cool.

Keivaugh and I teaching the P2 class

2 comments:

  1. A horse in a party???????????????

    I find Pinky and Lennon looking like dey ready to fight dey boy :D

    Any thoughts on how the Ghana people dress for funerals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yes Free Spirit a horse was at the party. Lennon and Pinky were enjoying themselves. I barely glimpsed a funeral as we travelled to the Elmina Castle and I did not get to view their dressing properly.

    ReplyDelete